Copyright Town of Lumberland Museum, Photo by Frank V. Schwarz
Originally known as South Lebanon prior to 1880, and consisting of rugged farmland. George Ross Mackenzie, Singer Sewing Machine Vice President and General Manager founded Glen Spey in 1880. This land reminded him of his native land in Scotland. Mr. Mackenzie built his magnificent country estate at the Glen Spey Crossroads. In the late 1870's, Singer Treasurer William F. Proctor followed by building his magnificent manor home, "Loch Ada," that was designed by famed architect, Henry Janeway Hardenburgh. Mr. Mackenzie and Mr. Proctor joined forces in 1879 to create a larger and improved school for the South Lebanon Children. This school house of Eastlake influence replaced a primitive and small structure in a much-improved space. It became known as" The Glen Spey School," which serves as the Lumberland Town Hall today. Following in their parents' footsteps, seven of the Mackenzie children built a summer mansion in Glen Spey with their inheritance and the youngest inherited "The Homestead." Three of the original mansions remain today. Glen Spey today remains an area of natural beauty, history, and serenity that we call home. The Town Center includes the Historic Lumberland Town Hall housing the Museum Room and Concert Hall for the Town of Lumberland Cultural Series, the meeting area for town officials, and the adjacent Thomas F. Municipal Building and the Lumberland Senior Center. Land surrounding the Town Hall which was purchased from the Mackenzie estate in 1976 has been manicured to become "Circle Park." A portion of Mr. Mackenzie's golf links that was purchased by the Town of Lumberland in 1976 was donated to build Mackenzie Elementary School, which was completed in 1995. Within the hamlet of Glen Spey is Mohican Lake, a scenic lake community. Major highways leading to Glen Spey from Mohican Lake include County Road 42, which was previously known as the "Lebanon Lake Road." The path to Glen Spey from Mongaup at County Route #31 was formerly known as the "Glen Spey Road." Glen Spey is a great place to live and to visit!
Pond Eddy Bridge - Photo Provided by Frank V. Schwarz
Pond Eddy hosts a Methodist Church and a Catholic Church. Once the hub of the Delaware & Hudson Canal, this region maintains much of its unique historical architecture, cultural sites, and scenic vistas. There is a wonderful walking tour on Berme Church Road with numerous restored Canal Era homes and churches. A century ago, hotels and boarding houses were conveniently located here within a short distance of the Pond Eddy, PA Railroad Station where tourists would first enter the region beginning in the late 1850's. There are two cemeteries in the area, one on Berme Church Road and one located at 2 Andrew Paye Road off of County Route #41. The original bridge at Pond Eddy on Route 97 has been replaced, and a Bridge Kiosk is located at the site. Further up Scenic Route 97 at the Brown-Carr Rest Stop, is an informative Scenic Byway Kiosk and Scenic Route 97 Historical Marker depicting the heritage of this famous road.
Mongaup Canal Boat - Photo Provided by Frank V. Schwarz
Named after the Mongaup River, "A branch with three feathers." This hamlet was known for the building of canal boats during the D & H Canal era from 1829-1898. Originally there were 10 dwellings, two school houses, two cemeteries, the first Methodist Church in Lumberland, and a store. There are two historical marker sites identifying the Lower Mongaup Cemetery at 80 County Route 31, and two more identifying historical architecture. Mongaup is a pristine area of beauty. One can experience it by walking, bicycling or by automobile.
Old Hillside Farm - Photo Provided by Frank V. Schwarz
Agriculture and Farming played a large role in the heritage of our town. Hillside was known for its' large farm tracts. Some of the original farms included Torrwood Farm, c. 1846, The Van Tuyl Farm, Sylvan Farm (Twitchell), and the Maney Farm. These farms were known for their large expanse of fields, quaint barns, and mills, which in a successful year produced an abundance of food. A one-room schoolhouse known as the "Hillside School," c. 1893 was built by the Maneys and the Blooms who were carpenters by trade in the region.
Descriptions of the Town of Lumberland Hamlets Provided by Frank V. Schwarz, Town Historian.