close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Animal Control

Dog Control

Sullivan County is a State Rabies County and all dogs and cats must be inoculated with the Rabies Vaccine. In accordance with the State Law all dogs MUST be licensed.

Dog Licensing

The Town is now responsible for dog licensing, which was formerly administrated by New York State. Lumberland has adopted a Dog Licensing Law which similar to the State’s but with a few changes. The new fee schedule, effective January 1, 2011, includes changes due to mandates by New York State:

Spayed/Neutered Dogs  $  3.50 per year 
Unspayed/Unneutered Dogs  $13.50 per year 
Senior Citizens fee schedule:   
Spayed/Neutered Dogs  $ 1.00 per year 
Unspayed/Unneutered Dogs  $ 3.00 per year 

There is no longer a pedigree license in the Town of Lumberland. All dogs are subject to the fee schedule listed above. For any questions regarding pedigree licenses, please contact the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets.
Dog Control Officer

The Dog Control Officer will come and pick up stray dogs, assist with barking complaints, biting complaints etc. Under Penal law 210.45 it is a crime punishable as a class A misdemeanor under the laws of the State of New York for a person, in and by a written instrument, to knowingly make a false statement or to make a statement that such person does not believe to be true. It shall be unlawful for any owner of any dog in the Town to permit or allow such dog to: Run at large unless an adequate leash restrains the dog or unless its owner or a responsible person accompanies it. For the purpose of the local law, a dog or dogs hunting in company of a hunter shall be considered as accompanied by its owner.

Fawn Schneider, Dog Control Officer
(845) 866-4137

bearNYS Dept of Environmental Conservation

Information regarding injured, sick or dead wildlife:
Lumberland is within the jurisdiction of the Region 3 Office of the NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation.

To make a report of nuisance wildlife, contact the DEC at:
21 South Putt Corners
New Paltz, NY 12561
(845) 256-3000

Monday through Friday
8:30am – 4:45pm