close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Town Museum

Founded in 1991 by Historian, Frank V Schwarz, the Lumberland archives houses pictures, memorabilia and written histories directly attributed to our Town. The site, at the Historic Lumberland Town Hall, includes a dedicated Resource Center of historic information about the Town. Individuals are encouraged to contact the Historian regarding donations of small items for the Museum Room.
There is information on the MacKenzie family, the original developers of Glen Spey, and memorabilia from the Town Founders and others. The historian also prepares exhibits, conducts educational local history seminars and directs the annual Heritage and Community Pride Awards.

Museum Room Hours:

Effective April 8, 2021:
Monday 10am - 3pm
Weekends by appointment only.

Frank V. Schwarz, Town Historian
(845) 856-8600, ext. 8

Exhibits and Lectures:

2021 Town of Lumberland Virtual Heritage Day: The Town of Lumberland Virtual Heritage Day will be viewable on Facebook on Sunday, July 18th 2021 at 3pm. The event will feature displays and a lecture narrative presented by Mr. Frank V Schwarz, Town of Lumberland Historian. 

Check back for the links closer to the event.

Museum History Items For Sale:

"People and Places in a Gilded Age"  - prepared and written by Town Historian, Frank V Schwarz.

This publication discusses the gilded age in the Town of Lumberland with regard to the accelerated economic in the 1870's throughout 1900. The focus is on regional influences and the influx of wealthy business who created magnificent country estates. -  $4


"Hawk's Nest: Newspaper History of the Road"by Norma Schadt - $15.00 


Newly Available:   Town of Lumberland Historical Marker Brochure, 2016. Available at the Town Museum Room, located in the Lumberland Town Hall. For more information, call Historian, Frank V. Schwarz at 845-856-8600 ext #1222


Newly Available: “History of the Eldred School District”

Available for sale at $15 per copy is the “History of the Eldred School District” by Frank V Schwarz, Lumberland Historian 2008. This written History guides the reader through the days of the one room schools through the days of the "Eldred Union School," the creation of Eldred Central School throughout the 1976 School year. This History was assisted by a grant a grant from the Upper Delaware Council, Narrowsburg, N.Y. 12764.

“A Brief Written History” (2004) – $10

"Lumberland Historic Papers" - Issue #1 - $1.00

“Lumberland Cemeteries Brochure" - FREE!


“Lumberland, A Gem With Many Facets” – $10

"Historic Scene Postcards" - $0.50 Each   

 "History of the Lumberland Senior Center" - $2.00 Each


Town of Lumberland - Gillinder Glass Paperweight:  depicting the Lumberland 1998 Bicentennial - $10.00 Each (limited quantities) 
"Post Card" - Pond Eddy Bridge, c. 1904 - View from the New York side  - $0.35 each

Museum News:

The following plaques were installed in July 2012 at the Brown/Carr rest stop, located above Pond Eddy, New York. The Lumberland Grants Coordinator, Frank V Schwarz, and the Highway Department installed the plaques. The following Highway workers are to be commended for helping with the project: Highway Superintendent Donald “Bosco” Hunt Jr., Jason Ward, Mike Warne and George Turner.

-Frank V Schwarz, Lumberland Grants Coordinator


Museum Awards:

The Town of Lumberland Museum periodically hosts the Community Pride and Heritage Awards to honor those who have beautified and restored homes within the Town of Lumberland. For information regarding this Programs please contact Mr. Schwarz.